Quick Healthy Post Workout Snacks
You see people having shakes, protein bars, pre-bought smoothies but they can be full of colouring, additives and sugar that your body just doesn't necessarily need straight after a workout. At the same time you may reach for a banana every time you have finished exercising because it's the only thing you think of as being quick, easy and healthy (which of course it is but there are other healthy choices you can make too). The best post workout food should contain both carbohydrate and protein because together they give you a better recovery.
Before we give you some alternatives to try, the question you need to ask yourself is do you really need a post-workout snack in the first place? If you are doing light exercise or walking for less than 45 minutes then you don't necessarily need to replenish anything. However, if your session involved high intensity exercise, cardio, strength training, interval training or walking at a steady pace for more than 45 minutes then your body will need some sustenance to help you recover.
Generally you want your post-workout snack within 15-30 minutes of finishing exercising
Here are some healthy options you may like to try:
1. Yoghurt and fresh berries - Adding 1/2 cup berries to a protein rich greek yoghurt adds the carbohydrate you also need for recovery after a workout. Our favourites - raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, blackcurrants, or blueberries.
2. Nuts - our favourites being brazils, almonds, macadamia, pine nuts, walnuts (A small handful)
3. Rice cakes with Peanut butter and banana - instead of bread add more fibre by using rice cakes (without the empty carbs) and I know its a banana but it is such a good post-workout snack it's hard to not include - it replenishes your energy quickly which is ideal recovery food. 1/2 banana, 1 tbsp. peanut butter, 2 brown rice cakes
4. Hummus and Wholewheat Pitta - A great Protein/Carb combination which will keep you fuelled for hours. 1/4 cup hummus, 1 whole wheat pitta
5. Sweet Potato Crisps - all you need is a sweet potato, cut very thinly, lightly baste both sides with olive oil, salt & pepper to taste, bake for 1 hour, turn after 30 mins and then let them crisp up for 10 mins
6. 4ozs Tuna (drained from water) or Sliced Turkey on1 slice whole wheat bread.
7. Hard boiled egg sliced in half and spread with hummus (a gorgeous combination!).